Family

Family

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Baby Young is BREECH

We confirmed our suspicions that baby is still in the heads up position at our 36 week doctor appointment. Can't say I was surprised, but definitely a bit disappointed. After all the anticipation and reading about a natural delivery, hearing the doc utter the words "scheduled c-section" was a hard pill to swallow. And even more mind blowing was that if we do schedule a c-section, it will take place around 39 weeks. I told my doctor that wouldn't work for me since I am planning on working until I'm 40 weeks pregnant....not to mention 39 weeks is a mere three weeks away. I had fully convinced myself this baby was going to come first week in September which gave us about five more weeks to mentally and physically prepare. But three? Oh my goodness, that is so soon!

We have some options to try and get the baby to flip. There is a manual procedure called version where a doctor pushes on your abdomen and tries to manually flip the baby, but there are risks involved that could lead to an emergency c-section. After doing some research we have decided not to try this procedure.

Another option that is far less intrusive and encourages baby to flip in a much more natural way, is to practice a few yoga type poses we read about on the internet. Basically, we have two weeks. If baby is still in breech position at 38 weeks we will have no choice but to schedule a c-section for the last week in August. Until then, you will find me doing hand stands in a pool, crawling around on my hands and knees, or lying on an inverted ironing board with a bag of frozen vegetables on the top of my belly hoping for the best.

 
 
At the end of the day, all that matters is that we deliver a healthy baby. If it's a c-section, then so be it. I know that the moment we meet our baby, our lives will be forever changed and the manner in which he/she came into this world will suddenly seem so insignificant compared to the new little bundle we hold in our arms.

  






No comments:

Post a Comment