Family

Family

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wedding Inspiration

I watched Father of the Bride last night. I've always loved that movie and now that I am planning a wedding I loved it even more. The movie starts with Steve Martin sitting alone reflecting on the wedding process and the wedding he just threw for his daughter.

"I used to think a wedding was a simple affair. A boy and girl meet,
they fall in love, he buys a ring, she buys a dress, they say "I do."
I was wrong. That's getting married. A wedding is an entirely
different proposition."

Two and a half weeks engaged and two weeks into the wedding planning process I can definitely relate to that statement! From the beginning it has been important to us to not get lost in the wedding industry hoopla and remember the importance and true meaning of having a wedding and getting married. It's not your colors, or what caterer you have, or the linens and wedding favors. The true importance and thing I keep coming back to when the wedding planning starts to get overwhelming, is the union of two people and families into one and the lifelong commitment they are making to each other. The wedding date (which is still in the air - oy vey!) will come and go, but this union and marriage we are planning will last forever. As long as we keep this in the forefront of our minds, we will be good to go.

Luke and I were talking on the phone last night about all the details of a wedding (and associated cost) and he said "how about we focus on FUN instead of fancy." YES! I love this, isn't he just the best? I had been searching for some form of wedding inspiration all day, and this was it.

We can promise you one thing on our wedding day, no matter what it will be FUN! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment