Family

Family

Friday, July 29, 2011

half way

Well kids, we are half way there! It has been 3 months since we got engaged

Remember this?


and we have 3 months until our wedding. I guess it’s time to get serious about this whole wedding planning thing, huh? And it’s definitely time I put down the chips ahoy and pick up my running shoes! For some reason I have been seriously lacking motivation to work out so I decided to volunteer at the Vineman triathlon this Saturday. What better way to get motivated than to be around super star athletes? The energy at these events is electric and super contagious and despite the fact that I have to be in Guerneville at 5:00 am this Saturday, I’m actually really excited! Not to mention my shift consists of stripping wetsuits off the triathletes as they transition from swim to bike….Best of luck to all those triathletes out there! Who knows, maybe this will inspire me to start training for my very own triathlon. My dear old dad competed in the Vineman about 15 years ago and rocked it. He told me he volunteered at an aid station one year and that was it, he was hooked and set on doing the race himself, which he did the following year. So, you never know! Just to give you an idea of what this race entails, it is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, finished off with a 26.2 mile run. No big deal.



On a completely unrelated topic, I had a week of firsts: my first time making salmon and my first time cooking chicken breast on the bone! Who knew salmon was so easy, nutritious and delicious? Not I! As for the chicken, I never ever cook chicken on the bone, until now! Luke said my bbq chicken on the bone was the most moist chicken he has ever had! Woohoo! Success! 

If you have never made salmon before, you should do yourself a favor and make this tonight for dinner.

Simple Salmon Recipe – even your kids will love it!
You will need:
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil (I used fresh, whatever you have on hand)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (I used dried because I didn’t have any fresh!)
2 (6 ounce) fillets salmon

Mix all the ingredients together and marinate the salmon in the fridge for 1 hour (or 30 minutes if you are in a hurry like I was)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Place fillets in aluminum foil, cover with marinade, and seal. Place sealed salmon in a glass dish and bake for 35-45 minutes, until easily flaked with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment